Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Intro to dialogue


This is my first dialogue shot! Started working on it in the end of class 4 and ended it in the first few weeks of class 5. Lots of work and it can be improved still :-)
It's a big step moving to a scene where there are facial expressions and lip synch! So this will be a simple introduction to animating a dialogue.

1. Body pass

To begin with, as usual...reference! I made the reference for the body movements first and animated that (going through blocking, first pass, etc). I played with eye movements and blinks at this point a little, just so the face doesn't look too stiff. Also had a bit of jaw rotations going on too, but just very simple mouth movements. This is how it looked when this body pass was over:


2. Animating the face

To start doing the facial animation, I did another reference video so I could see the expressions clearly and also the mouth shapes. This one was done sitting still in front of the camera. I did check the other reference every now and then too: although I did it mostly for body reference, there are some facial expressions there that make sense, besides, it's still helpful if I want to improve the body, etc...

Using the reference and the sound file I planned the mouth shapes (visemes). First it's necessary to write down the line that will be said but the way it sounds. Each sound is called a phoneme. So for my line, for example
"I...I haven't totally decided...he can ahm...he can live or... (inhale)...he can die"
I wrote the sound as:
"Ae...Ae heven toudaly dicided...hee kenah...hee ken leev oah...hee ken dae"
This transcription has to be done in a way YOU understand it, after all, you're the one animating it. Then it's good to mark the important visemes, the mouth shapes that yo MUST HAVE there or the viewers will notice something's wrong. The order of importance as I learned in AM would be:

1.both lips – p (as in play), b (bye), m (mom), w (wine)
2.lips and teeth – f (four), v (vote)
3.tongue tip and teeth – th (thin)
4.tongue tip and ridge between teeth – t (tick), d (date), s (sue), z (zoo), n (noodle), l (lemon)
5.tongue blade and palate – sh (rush), j (rouge), ch (rich), r (run), y (yaw)
6.tongue back and top of throat – k (back), g (lag), ng (sang)
7.vocal folds – h (hey)

You have to be aware that one sound may affect the mouth shape of another sound. That's called co-articulation. For example, when you say "cold" and "key" you say the sound "k" in both. But when your mouth is saying the "k" it's already preparing to make the next sound. In the first word (cold) the shape will be narrower and the jaw rotation a bit more open, anticipating the "oo" sound that follows. For the second word, the shape will be wider.

Here I have the important mouth shapes in red:
"Ae...Ae heven toudaly dicided...hee kenah...hee ken leev oah...hee ken dae"

In order to know when to set each mouth shape, it's very helpful to make plan on which frame each sound occurs. I'll talk about this in another post. So I set the mouth shapes following the planning and the facial expressions following the reference, did another polish on the body and the result is what you saw up there :-)
There's a lot more to dialogue...but this is a start! I'll talk about planning the mouth shapes in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails